Graph also has a bit of a history with the construction of swimming pools, but it’s a much more recent history and includes:
- Kurri Kurri Aquatic and Fitness Centre, for Cessnock Council (2002)
- Balance Collective Spa and Health Centre, Mayfield, for Wests Group (2004)
- Toronto Swim Centre Redevelopment, for Lake Macquarie City Council (2019)
- RAAF Williamtown Swimming Pool Remediation Works, for Department of Defence (2019)
In December 2015, Maitland Council called open tenders for the construction of a new indoor 25m heated swimming pool. The eight-lane pool is an addition to council’s existing swimming pool complex in Maitland Park, and its completion allows for the Maitland community to enjoy the benefits of swimming not just in summer, but throughout the year.
The project incorporated:
- demolition of the existing toddler’s pool and the relocation of an existing sewer main to clear the site for the new indoor pool;
- alterations and additions to existing facilities, including pedestrian footpaths and covered walkways, service vehicle access roads, and the main amenities building (to provide improved user comfort during the winter months);
- installation of a new main switchboard for the overall complex, including alterations to the previous main switchboard to suit;
- construction of the new, 25m indoor heated pool of eight lanes, complete with large, double, glazed windows to take full advantage of the setting within Maitland Park;
- complex mechanical services comprising pool filtration system, water heating system and the air conditioning of the indoor space.
The alterations to the existing pool facilities were undertaken during the winter months, while the existing 50m pool was in its annual closedown. The existing facilities otherwise remained fully operational throughout the course of the project.
Maitland Park Aquatic Centre
Les Darcy Drive, Maitland
Construction of a new heated indoor 25m swimming pool and associated site works on the site of Council’s existing 50m pool, plus some alterations and additions to the existing amenities building.
Maitland City Council
BVN Architecture, Sydney
$8.8m (excluding GST)